*This is a 100% remote position*
The Virginia Department of Taxation is in search of a self-motivated, objective, and determined candidate for a home-based Interstate Sales Tax Auditor in San Francisco, California. This position will cover the San Francisco Bay Area, and the contiguous United States.
The primary responsibility of this position is to research, plan, and conduct audits of multi-state corporations that conduct business in Virginia. The Auditor is responsible for ensuring compliance with the tax laws and regulations of the Commonwealth of Virginia, primarily Sales & Use taxes, but may also include other taxes and fees administered by Virginia Tax.
To be successful in this role, you must demonstrate professionalism, creativity, self-motivation, excellent organizational skills, and the ability to work independently. You will also be required to have a high level of interpersonal skills when communicating face-to-face with taxpayers, including difficult situations requiring the use of diplomacy and tact.
• Researching, planning, scheduling, and conducting audits using proper audit methods and techniques
• Communicating audit findings and issues with all levels of management as well as other interested parties
• Applying technical knowledge of tax laws, regulations, rulings, and court decisions in order to successfully analyze and properly resolve audit issues
• Completing audit reports that clearly define technical and factual conclusions, and submitting them within the prescribed time frame
• Reviewing and analyzing both manual and electronic records when determining taxpayer compliance
• Identifying audit candidates and conducting audits in such a manner as to preserve the statute of limitations
• Maintaining a projected work schedule for at least two months of both active and planned audits
• Experience with Sales & Use tax laws
• Considerable auditing experience in a professional work environment
• Considerable knowledge of auditing and accounting principles, practices, and techniques
• Advanced skill in gathering and analyzing data, and successfully utilizing appropriate interviewing techniques
• Experience analyzing accounting records and arriving at logical, factual, and legally supportable conclusions
• Experience communicating effectively and building relationships with diverse groups of people (taxpayers, attorneys, accountants, corporate officers, etc.)
• Ability to work independently with limited supervision in a home-based environment
• Must provide a safe and secure home-based work area (must provide locking file cabinet), and hard-wired high speed internet connection is required for the work location (cannot be wireless)
• Ability to travel and be away from home overnight
• Demonstrated ability to prioritize duties and handle multiple tasks
• Must have a valid driver’s license, satisfactory driving record and provide your own transportation for required travel
*Hard-wired High-speed Internet connection is REQUIRED with a Download speed of 3 MB or higher and an Upload speed of 1 MB or higher. (See testing requirements under special instructions)
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related business degree with a minimum of 12 credit hours in accounting
• Experience writing, analyzing, and interpreting comprehensive audit reports
• Proficient PC skills using Microsoft Word and Excel, databases, and other software programs
• Considerable working knowledge of federal and state tax laws/regulations
• Skill in directing and overseeing the work of a group of professionals
• Progressive state work experience in professional auditing and/or accounting
This is a strictly home-based position. Interested applicants must reside within 45 miles of California’s San Francisco Bay Area and its airport. Overnight travel is required, and work expenses are covered by Virginia Tax. No relocation costs are provided.
Interested applicants, please apply directly via this link: https://virginiajobs.peopleadmin.com/postings/300616
Learn more about Virginia Tax!>>https://www.tax.virginia.gov/who-we-are
The State of Virginia offers a wide range of benefits, including health insurance, annual leave, retirement, public service student loan forgiveness and more! To find out more details about our benefits, visit: https://www.dhrm.virginia.gov/employeebenefits
Did you know that over 8 million citizens rely on more than $26.1 billion of revenue the Virginia Department of Taxation collects to fund government services that affect their daily lives? Virginia Tax, headquartered in Richmond, is responsible for administering 37 state and local taxes, sales and use taxes, and miscellaneous excise taxes with integrity, efficiency, and consistency. Virginia Tax works directly with individual and business taxpayers and local governments to ensure the Commonwealth’s revenue is collected and taxes administered with fairness, diligence, and integrity.
Do not contact this company in solicitation of any product or service.