POSITION TITLE: Housing Specialist
Job status: Exempt or non-exempt classification to be determined by Employee Services.
Reports to: Director of Housing and Residential Life
Supervises: student employees
Summary of Position:
Under the direction of the Director of Housing and Residential Life, the Housing Specialist supports all functions provided by the Housing and Residential Life office. This position supports the Mission Statement of Mills College by delivering excellent support and services to students, staff and faculty. Through its operational excellence, it advances the initiatives of the strategic plan, by ensuring goals are established, monitored and measured to meet the plan’s timelines and objectives. This position plays a significant role in supporting sustainability programs and creating a vibrant and inclusive campus life.
Essential Job Functions:
- Daily management of software programs related to housing in addition to Banner.
- Coordinates and monitors Housing and Residential Life office activities, including the coordination of room assignments, and collaboration with Public Safety for the distribution and maintenance of keys, key packets, key systems and re-keyings.
- Responsible for physical inventory of furnishings in housing and guest rooms on campus and partners with facilities to ensure the appropriate cleaning schedule and inventory with the Housekeeping Supervisor.
- Responsible for monthly interdepartmental billing, budget planning on consultation with the director.
- Compiles documents such as master schedules and procedure manuals according to established guidelines and provides assistance in areas such as budget preparation, presentations, and record-keeping.
- Formats, types, and edits a variety of complex materials from rough drafts, or notes including budgets, contracts, calendars, letters, memoranda, agenda, minutes of meetings, requisitions and schedules. Composes routine correspondences. Attends meetings on behalf of the administrator as assigned.
- Collects data and performs research on a variety of matters as directed, including assessment reports regarding comparison schools’ activities and policies.
- Coordinates the flow of information among supervisor, programs, and various groups such as other college staff, students, or community groups. Responds to questions requiring judgment, knowledge and interpretation of policies, procedures, and operations.
- Organizes office systems. Develops, documents, and implements office policies and procedures. Recommends policies and procedures to enhance program productivity and services.
- Participate in orientation for incoming and continuing students in the fall and spring.
- Assists in the coordination of move-in/move-out transitions, room assignments, meal plan assignments, room selection, room change, meal plan changes and room inspection process.
- Assist with scheduling meetings, room reservations, answering phones, relay message, screen and rout calls and visitors and mail, provide information to staff, students, and the public regarding programs and functions of assigned office.
- Responds to daily inquiries from prospective students, students, parents, faculty, staff and members of the Mills College community at large.
- Responsible for ensuring accuracy in all department publications and informative materials on the college’s website including updates on internal and external communications
- Provides rental verification and references for current and former residents.
- Responsible for billing housing, meal plan, damage, lost key, and other housing related miscellaneous charges.
- Coordinates file maintenance of all documentation related to room condition and billing
- Establishes and maintains effective business relationships with colleagues in other departments
- May supervise student worker(s) creating schedules and training.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent understanding of Microsoft Word and Excel as well as data entry skills.
- Various software including Banner, Cashnet, CBORD, Micros, and StarRez.
- Telephone techniques and etiquette.
- Housing, dining and residence life principles and practices.
- Working in a college environment.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Strong communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attentiveness to details.
- Maintain a professional, calm, and polished demeanor especially in stressful situations;
- Exercise appropriate initiative and handle matters requiring confidentiality, diplomacy, patience, and sensitivity.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally.
- Excellent oral communication and customer service skills to serve students, parents, and all levels of College constituencies. Professional and polished demeanor. .
- Ability to carry out assignments with accuracy and attention to detail, work with interruptions, and handle many demands simultaneously.
- Work independently and in collaboration with other office staff.
- Understand and follow directions and complete work assignments on schedule.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Take appropriate steps to promote and sustain effective working relationships within a diverse multicultural environment
- Work safely in compliance with College Injury and Illness Prevention Plan
Education and Training:
Bachelor’s degree and at least five years of experience working in housing management, auxiliary services or related field. Those without these qualifications who have strong administrative skills or experience with databases are encouraged to apply.
Physical, Mental and Environmental Demands:
Work primarily conducted in an office environment. Requires extensive use of computers and associated equipment such as printers, scanners, etc. May have prolonged walking for residence hall inspections or for tours. May require occasional overtime during high volume activities, such as orientation. There may be frequent interruptions and changes to work schedule. There may be dealings with students who are upset, stressed and/or confrontational.
This position description is not intended to contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities. Additional duties may be assigned based on business operational needs.
Please apply directly on the Mills College Job Postings website here: https://mills.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=138562