Come join a winning team. Grow in your capacity to serve the common good. The Communications Staff works in a diverse team based, campaign style leadership initiative with the Martin Luther King Jr. Freedom Center, a success civil rights organization working statewide in California and throughout the West Coast.
Responsibilities include communicating with the press, public, and supporters and sponsors based on advancing relationships and policy initiatives. Communicate with press, elected officials, funders, school personnel, educators, and community based and civic leaders, elders and Civil Rights leaders, families, and community. Position reports to Communications Manager. This is an excellent opportunity to join a growing organization with competitive compensation.
Summary of position:
The Martin Luther King Jr. Freedom Center, Oakland— Communications Specialist works in a rigorous campaign style leadership nonviolence effort. JOIN THE FREEDOM CENTER TEAM AS COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST.
- Lead Us into the Future. The Communications Specialist is an excellent opportunity for a professional. The organization has all of the necessary ingredients for growth and success: a timely mission, a 15+ year track record, a large network of elected officials, funders, educators, community, labor, civic, and civil rights leaders who support the work, an excellent reputation, a committed staff, and an active board.
- Join a Great Team. The staff at the Freedom Center do what they love and love what they do. They also care about each other: While each person has a particular role, the staff also works together to support the Freedom Center as a whole.
- Strong Wage and Benefits. The starting salary for the Communications Specialist is 54,000 plus medical, dental, and pension benefits after three months. Full time position in Freedom Center office at Merritt College, Oakland.
Responsibilities and Experience Necessary
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Front line on media regionally, statewide, and national
- Publication of organization’s articles and essays
- Basic design work of brochures and flyers (InDesign)
- Video and photo shooting, editing, producing (Video editing, photo editing experience required)
- Basic design of gifts with slogans
- Creation and Sending of Eblasts (using Salesforce)
- Expansion and Maintenance of Database (Salesforce)
- Keep updated two websites (WordPress)
- Social media (multiple)
- Ability to take a dynamic, social justice Call to Action and to give it life as a member of a highly interconnected team
Minimum of two years' experience implementing a full range of communication strategies.
JOIN THE DYNAMIC MARTIN LUTHER KING JR FREEDOM CENTER TEAM AS COMMUNICATIONS AND PUBLIC RELATIONS SPECIALIST.