Summary of position:
The Martin Luther King Jr. Freedom Center, Oakland— Community Organizer/Educational Services team members work in a rigorous campaign style leadership nonviolence effort. This position utilizes a coaching approach to relationships, personal transformation and social justice. Educational Services team members equip diverse youth, family members and community organizers with character development and leadership skills necessary for civic leadership and (equitable) workforce success. A current driver’s license, a vehicle and insurance on that vehicle are requirements for transporting others.
This is an at-will, exempt, salaried position (no paid overtime) with full benefits (medical, dental and simple IRA, after three months), requiring professional educational certification in specific methodology, protocols and pedagogy. The position requires training, study, and demonstration of competency in the pedagogy. A three-month Trainee period allowing for study, shadowing and coaching to learn and demonstrate competency in pedagogy is provided. Permanent status requires demonstration of competence in pedagogy during this period.
Educational Services team members develop relationships, resources, and power with students, school personnel and community members, in tune with values and principles of nonviolence and civil rights. Ethical leadership coaching provides a framework for self-change, as team members develop the capacity to both give and receive coaching with the students, and with other team members. Responsibilities focus on transporting students, phone calling, attending events with the students, home and school visits. Staff also participate in community and public events together with students and parent volunteers.
Implementation of agency pedagogy includes demonstration of competency, leadership coaching, maintenance of records, documentation of expenses, program reporting, program outcome documentation and other office related responsibilities. There will always be other duties as assigned for the successful carrying out of the Educational Services and civic engagement organizing consistent with Freedom Center programming.
- Willingness to work irregular hours, including evenings and weekends
- Willingness and ability to travel, including frequent travel within the assigned region and occasional travel throughout California and other locations, including overnight travel. Transportation costs are covered by organization
- A current driver's license, car, automobile insurance, and cell phone
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English, bi-lingual a plus, not required
- Basic computer literacy and a willingness and ability to learn the organization's technology tools
- Strong personal planning, motivation, and time management skills and ability to work with people from other cultures and backgrounds
- As an exempt, professional position, the ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment are considered key components to demonstrating competency in agency methodology and pedagogy
- Personal commitment to the mission and goals of the MLKJ Freedom Center
- Intercultural and intergenerational proficiency
- Capacity to take direction -- occasional direction from progressive teenagers
- Experience with the following types of employers is highly valued: labor unions, elected officials, political campaigns, progressive issue advocacy organizations, social justice organizations, community and social service organizations
- Capacity and desire for self-transformation and the development of self-control
Components of the Job-- Educational Services Team Member duties include, but not limited to:
- Interact with community members, elected officials, funders, students, school administrators, teachers, and parents of the students, promoting the mission and purpose of the Martin Luther King Jr Freedom Center
- Study and demonstrate competency in agency protocols and narratives, implementing a coaching methodology in all relationships
- Participate in staff trainings, meetings, planning, and evaluation to insure Educational Services planning is executed, evaluated, and agency mission and purpose is optimized in all aspects of agency endeavors
- Participate in meetings with school administrators, advancing relationships that assist in identification, communication, and integration of Freedom Center youth in selection, and excused absences for Freedom Center work
- Assure school administrators and teachers have broad and accurate understanding of the mission and purpose of the Freedom Center. Cultivate relationships.
- Participate in presentations in schools and classrooms
- Carry out home visits and school visitations with the students and their parents, guardians and family members, utilizing agency narrative and protocols
- Phone calling, visits, and more phone calling. Organizing others.
- Participate and take on responsibilities related to nonviolence leadership classes and events. The anchor programs are Saturday mornings at Merritt. Team members assist in transportation, preparation, participation and evaluation of those classes.
- Participate in training which is required for each are of the work, plus ongoing training.
- Journal daily (on personal time)
- Photograph, video, and document activities, posting on website and social media
- Assist in documentation of all services provided
- Assist in maintenance of all agency archives of photos and content, participating in social media and messaging of our work with funders, friends, parents and students.
- Study and practice the principles of nonviolence so that one’s own transformation and change is the basis for working with others
Salary: $54,000 plus medical, dental and 401k after three months.